Trends come and go in the spa industry but every once in a while, one of them sticks around. The use of crystals as an alternative medicine technique is centuries old but has become increasingly popular in the spa industry over the last decade. While the idea of crystal healing may sound strange to some, anecdotal evidence suggests crystals may help balance the mind and mood in addition to providing skincare benefits. Crystals are easy to incorporate into skincare treatments and offering crystal healing may help you attract new clients and expand your business.
The use of crystals for healing is known as gemstone therapy. Gemstone therapy has a long history that dates back centuries, though modern crystal healing is credited to Isabelle Morton’s work in the 1980s. Here’s what you need to know about crystal healing and how to incorporate it into your spa menu.
What is Gemstone Therapy?
Gemstones have always been linked to health and wellbeing in alternative medicine practices. They are derived from the earth and healers have been using them to balance energy and align chakras for centuries. Crystals carry a frequency that naturally resonates with the body and placing them on the body may help draw out negative energy and facilitate healing. Different crystals vibrate at different frequencies and, depending where they are used on the body, deliver different benefits.
Here are some of the most popular crystals used for gemstone therapy:
- Aventurine – Found in a variety of colors, aventurine is ideal for releasing blocked energy and dissipating negativity. It also offers anti-inflammatory benefits and may help reduce breakouts.
- Emerald – This high-energy crystal boosts collagen production and stimulates cell regeneration, making it a powerful crystal for anti-aging. Emerald also helps repair damaged skin, evens skin tone, and improves the skin’s elasticity.
- Garnet – Known for its deep red color, this crystal restores and revitalizes the body in addition to healing and purifying the skin.
- Hematite – In addition to providing pain relief, this crystal has a strong grounding and balancing energy. It may also help stimulate the mind.
- Moonstone – Typically used to relieve anxiety, this crystal may help with insomnia and depression as well. Moonstone may also inspire creativity and enhance intuition.
- Sapphire – This gemstone represents success, wealth, and strength but also tranquility and contentment. By stimulating the pituitary gland, sapphire helps stabilize sensitive skin while lifting sagging skin and smoothing fine lines and wrinkles.
- Sodalite – This crystal stimulates intuition and creativity while clarifying the thoughts and calming the emotions.
- Quartz – One of the most common minerals on the planet, quartz comes in several forms including clear quartz and rose quartz. Rose quartz stimulates circulation and balances the circulatory system while clear quartz clears negative energy and focuses the mind.
Practitioners of crystal healing understand that certain gemstones carry a specific energy, and they have the power to interact with an individual’s aura. While gemstone therapy typically involves the use of gemstones in spherical form, modern skincare applications include things like crystal face rollers, gua sha tools, and massage wands.
The Benefits of Crystals
The spa and wellness industry frequently overlaps with alternative medicine, especially when it comes to practices that facilitate relaxation, centering, and balancing. Crystal healing is an ancient practice and while evidence of its benefits is primarily anecdotal, there is a ritualistic aspect to it that many find soothing. Crystals can be used to alter the energy in the room or as physical tools to deliver massage techniques. Yon-Ka’s My Face Massage Crystal is an excellent example.
Here are some of the benefits of crystals for skincare:
- Crystals help transport energy around the body, absorbing negative energy and transmitting positive energy which may help with overall wellness.
- Using a crystal with natural skincare products may change the molecular structure of the product so, as it penetrates the skin, you experience the rebalanced benefits of the crystal.
- The minerals found in many crystals have been shown to offer anti-inflammatory and antibacterial properties.
- Gua sha tools and crystal rollers can help de-puff the skin by improving circulation and facilitating lymphatic drainage.
- Certain crystals (like rose quartz) improve circulation which may help eliminate toxins and impurities while unclogging and tightening the pores.
If you’re interested in incorporating crystals into your spa menu, Yon-Ka’s My Face Massage Crystal is a great place to start. This green aventurine crystal tapers to a rounded tip perfect for applying facial massage techniques while the healing power of the crystal draws out negative ions, detoxifying, cleansing, and healing the skin. Its unique shape also makes it perfect for de-puffing and brightening the delicate contours around the eyes.
Tips for Caring for Your Crystals
Crystal skincare tools like the My Face Massage Crystal help soften the skin and neutralize pollutants that harm the skin throughout the day. When paired with anti-aging massage techniques, crystals may also help de-puff and brighten the contours around the eyes. Crystal tools are generally easy to care for, but because they can be porous, they can trap bacteria and therefore must be cleaned properly.
Here are some tips for caring for your crystals:
- Store your crystal in a cool, dark place away from direct sunlight.
- Gently wash your crystal after each use to remove oil, impurities, and skincare products.
- A simple wipe-down with a cleansing cloth is sufficient for daily cleaning.
- Give your crystal a deeper clean with warm, soapy water about once a week.
- Avoid washing your crystal in very hot water – it may strip away the protective layers.
- Never use alcohol or chemical cleaners on your crystal tools.
- Recharge their energetic properties by placing them in direct sunlight.