Building a strong base of loyal customers is the key to success for any spa. In order to achieve that goal, you have to create a memorable and personalized experience for each and every guest. Though developing a thoughtful spa menu and a relaxing ambiance can help, what it really comes down to is results. If your clients are happy with their results, they’re going to keep coming back.
Professional estheticians have the training and experience to administer treatments, but the outcome of those treatments will only be as good as the products themselves. Choosing a professional skin care line that aligns with your spa esthetic and delivers effective and reliable skincare solutions is a must.
Shopping for skincare can be tricky for anyone, but especially for spa professionals whose clients rely on you to make informed decisions on their behalf.
Here’s what you need to know about choosing a professional skin care line for your spa.
Start By Developing a Clear Brand Identity
Before you can start shopping for skincare products, you need to build a brand identity. You want your clients to know who you are and what they can expect from your spa whether they’re browsing your website, shopping your retail store, or booking a service. It’s your brand identity that sets you apart from the competition and tells your customers you offer something they can’t find elsewhere.
Part of creating a brand identity involves developing a clear mission. What is your treatment philosophy? What message do you want your clients to receive when they interact with your brand? Having a clear mission gives your spa a firm foundation to fall back on when making decisions about your business in the future.
Every decision you make for your business should be in line with your mission and in support of your brand identity. That includes the professional and retail products you choose to use in your spa.
What to Look for in a Skin Care Line
Your brand identity is about more than the products you use, but those products do play a role in building your spa’s image. Choose a skin care line that represents your spa’s ideals and that offers the kind of products you need to meet your clients’ expectations.
Here are 6 key features to look for in a skin care line:
- Clean ingredients. The efficacy of a product is all about the ingredients. Look for a product line that uses safe, natural ingredients without all the synthetic additives.
- Proven efficacy. It’s one thing for a company to make claims about their products and another thing to prove them. Look for a company that tests their products in clinical settings and makes the results public.
- Product variety. You see clients with different skin types and myriad different concerns, so you need a product line that is varied enough to meet all of those needs.
- Up to date. Trends come and go, but it’s important to choose a skin care line that stays abreast of changes in the industry. You don’t want to build a spa menu around temporary trends or fads but offering seasonal services can help keep things fresh.
- Retail options. When choosing a skin care line, you want a brand that offers the high-quality professional products you need but also offers retail products for your clients to take home.
- Pricing and packaging. Product pricing affects your profits, but it also affects how likely your clients are to purchase retail products. Think about the packaging as well to make sure it fits your spa esthetic.
While the factors above can certainly help you narrow down your options, don’t forget to look into the brand itself and not just their product offerings. Look for a company that’s been in business for a while. Do they have a history of innovation? Are their products backed by clinical studies? The brand’s reputation will become linked with your own, so make sure it’s a good one.
Other Factors to Consider
Having a strong understanding of your brand identity is a great place to start and you can narrow down your options by deciding what key features your professional skin care line needs to offer. Before you make your final choice, however, there are a few more details to consider.
When you’re choosing a professional skin care line, you’re choosing more than just the products – you’re choosing the company. Do a deep dive into the company to see what resources they offer their spa partners. Loyalty programs are great, but a reputable company will go above and beyond to support their spa partners.
Consider choosing a company that offers professional development resources and in-person training to make sure your estheticians are equipped to deliver the high-quality results that will set your spa apart and keep your clients coming back for more.
Once you’ve chosen a professional skin care line for your spa, be sure to incorporate it into your marketing materials. Include product photos on your spa website, in your brochures, and marketing emails. Being upfront about the products you use in your spa will help your clients feel more informed and more comfortable receiving professional spa services.
For more information about choosing the right professional skincare line for your spa, reach out to the professionals at Yon-Ka Paris. Not only do they offer an exceptional amount of complimentary hands-on training and professional development to guide you in your spa goals, they also give you the ability to grow your retail business with their at-home products.